Page 6

Dalhart Community Profile and Membership Directory

Honoring our Veteran’s is a long honored tradition each year on Veteran’s Day. would be “The wildest and the roughest and the toughest town of this the XIT Ranch. In 1905 the local women’s club established a public library, section,” and for a time his prediction was right. one of the earliest in the Panhandle. Texline served as the Dallam county seat from 1891 to 1903 when the The XIT, which conducted much of its business from Channing, was the county government was moved to Dalhart. The county’s first public school town’s chief customer until liquidation of the ranch in 1911. On September began in Texline about 1892. The town was incorporated in 1916, but 6, 1931, a fire destroyed seven buildings in the business district. removal of the railroad shops in 1923 caused its population to decrease to Nevertheless, by 1940 Channing had a population of 475 with a high school, 385 by 1940. In 2010, Texline’s population was 507. three churches and five businesses, including a plant for grinding volcanic OUT WEST IN THE COWBOYS’ LAND grew as a shipping point and trade center for grain, feed and livestock. Bycinders and a cinder-block plant. Channing was incorporated in 1960 and Channing, the seat of Hartley County, is 30 miles south of Dalhart. Of all 1984, mainly because of the accessibility of Dalhart and Amarillo by the Panhandle towns associated with the XIT Ranch, only Channing can highways 87 and 385, the population had decreased to 304. truly claim that it developed directly from the enterprise. It derived its In 2010, the population was 363. name from George Channing Rivers, paymaster of the railroad when it was built through the county in 1888. Channing was general headquarters of TOWN WITH A BIG HEART Hartley is at the junction of U.S. highways 87 and 385, 14 miles southeast of Dalhart in east central Hartley County. It was named after the pioneer Circle “H” purchased the right-of-way through the site. By the summer of 1890, aTexas attorneys Oliver Cromwell Hartley and his brother Rufus. It began asa tent village in 1888 after the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway headquarters llc remained so until 1903 when another election made Channing the countypermanent town was platted, and a local school district established. WhenHartley County was organized in 1891, Hartley was elected county seat and seat. Despite threats from some local citizens, armed deputies and XIT Protecting, Conserving & Ranch cowboys managed to move the wooden frame courthouse, mounted on wheels, out of Hartley and into Channing. Nevertheless, Hartley Advancing Inputs Surrounding continued to grow as the Hartley Townsite Company advertisements Animal Health attracted prospective homesteaders and businesspeople. By 1910, Hartley had a hotel, school, and variety of stores and small businesses. The community had five businesses and a population of 150 in 1940 and was a shipping point for cattle and grain. Though Amarillo and Dalhart drew some Hartley residents in the 1930s and 1940s, Hartley had grown to a population of 370 by 1990, 441 by 2000, and 540 by 2010. Source: The Handbook of Texas online P.O. Box 1150 • 3216 U.S. Hwy. 54 Dalhart, TX 79022-1150 3325 US Hwy. 54 East (806) 244-7851 • Fax (855) 715-0828 Dalhart, TX 79022 www.circleh.info 806.244.4900 • Fax 806.244.4885 bclark@wilburellis.com www.wilburellis.com 6


Dalhart Community Profile and Membership Directory
To see the actual publication please follow the link above